Another edition of my early morning thoughts on the Open. Enjoy!
1. Stosur lost in three sets, which is sad. I saw the last set and she was up 5-2 and serving for match and ended up losing 7-5. Her forehand ditched her, she got upset, and the pressure of being in her home country really got to her.
2. The shade on these courts are awful. Stosur’s opponent Zheng was very smart and continued hitting to her forehand in the shadier area of the court. It is very hard to see the ball and players have to double their efforts to hit a clean ball in the shade. Stosur definitely lost this one on her own. Had around 50 unforced errors and her double faults were quite high for this match.
3. Last thought on this match. Pam Shriver is the absolute worst tennis commentator of all time. She is atrocious and I get so annoyed when she tries to talk about tennis.
4. Watching the Venus Williams vs Cornet (FRA) right now as I type this. Venus is up 5-3 in the first and is looking decent. Her opponent has been hanging around though, and after seeing Stosur lose today, I hope Venus finishes her off. (Venus just took the first set)
5. Venus’s clothing choice is very colorful for this match. Looks like someone sprayed a multitude of paint colors on her outfit. Very cool. Always has great fashion.
6. Djokovich has a match coming up (I think). I don’t think I will be able to catch it, but it is against unseeded American Ryan Harrison. Never seen Harrison play, but I hope he makes it interesting against the top seed.
7. Sharapova rolled as well today against her opponent. Missed the match, but from the score (6-0. 6-0) I can assume she did very well. Her and Venus might meet up in the third round, which would be a fun match.
8. Just heard that if Venus can finish the 2nd set quickly, that Joko vs Harrison would be next. Hopefully, Venus does that so I can catch the first few games or something.
9. My girl Julia Goerges won as well today in two sets. Didn’t catch the match, but from the score she did well. I picked her to be a breakout star this year and win her first Open, so I am glad she is rolling. Not to mention she is very pretty. Hopefully, I can catch a match of hers.
10. Venus needs to hurry this set up. I want to see Djokovich. Cornet is about to break Venus in the 2nd set and go up 2-1. Never heard of Cornet, but she is holding her own against Venus. Venus just came back from triple break point and is leading 2-1.
11. Querrey won today, which is good for American tennis. He beat another unseeded American Brian Baker who had to retire in the 2nd set due to an injury. Always a sad moment when a player has to retire due to an injury. I am really missing Fish and Roddick.
12. Madison Keys an unseeded 17 year old American won today and is in to the third round. Never heard of her or seen her play, but always great for American tennis when a young star is doing well. Facing the 5th seed Angelique Kerber next so it will be a good test of her abilities. Can she be the Melanie Oudin of the Aussie Open?
Well those are my early thoughts for Day 3. I think Joko will roll over Harrison, but I wouldn’t mind being surprised. Come back for another edition tomorrow morning!